I know you didn’t think a little zombie apocalypse would stop people from falling in love. If you thought so, you’d be dead wrong. Deader than the zombies, actually. Along with many other things that are interwoven with The Walking Dead, we also get love. Romance during the zombie apocalypse is something that no true Walking Dead fan could ever live without, and without it, the show means nothing as love is what holds our favorite group of survivors together.
1 She might not be the last woman in the world, but she's damn close.
Abraham is an insensitive savage but he was damn correct. You can't just go to the club or download an online dating app during the zombie apocalypse and find some new booty to smash real quick like. Not that I'm speculating on who might be in a relationship of convenience but... *coughs* Rick, what are you doing, bruh? Michonne deserves better. Only like 17 women had to die before he halfway looked at Michonne though since there ain't too many people roaming the earth anymore, I guess she'll just have to settle for good enough.
2 Who cares if it's the middle of a zombie apocalypse? I wanna marry you.
Glenn always comes through clutch with good, life-saving ideas. There is probably not a better person you'd want by your side in a pinch. Plus, he's also so damned cute with his roundhead ass. Besides always being a dependable friend and family member during the zombie apocalypse, Glenn has also proved himself to be the perfect boyfriend, fiance`, and, finally, husband, earning the highest blessing from the late and great Herschel. Despite this great loss (of Glenn), he really did protect Maggie until the very end.
So...I guess the moral of this story is...it's never too late to find love. The world just might have to end first.
3 Cowards don't have lasting relationships in the zombie apocalypse
You will walk into a tunnel full of zombies with little chance of escape to find your wife. But guess who did Escape? Glenn did. You know why? Because he isn't a coward... Because he wasn't a coward. Now, there are numerous examples people who died when they did not have to die because of somebody's cowardly actions after the group arrived in Alexandria. this shows us all that fear has no place in the zombie apocalypse. How many times have people come in clutch to save others who were about to let themselves die? Without courage hardly any of the Walking Dead's couples would have happened because they all would have been dead. Now, there was the odd person who was protected by other people like Tyrese did when he saved that other man's wife. you can also see that that salty ass white man never got over it and became quite unhinged.I suppose losing your wife might do that to a man. I guess he should have fought harder and been a better fighter.
4 I love you, mom. That's why I must kill you.
This is the first time that we see Rick Channel his inner thug in the midst of his grief about losing his wife. As any real Walking Dead fan knows, it was Carl that did the deed and right after Lori gave birth by C-section. If you truly been paying attention, then you know that one of the rules of the group is that they don't let their own turn, so... Carl refused to let his mother turn into one of the monsters. We got to witness this heartbreaking scene of this little boy taking this really big responsibility by taking the life of his own mother.
Sometimes, you have to do the hard thing. Taking care of each other in The Walking Dead means killing off any threat, even when that threat used to be one of the people you loved.
5 You may not be my child, but I'll raise you so the zombies won't get you.
Look, I know Rick isn't the first man to raise someone else's child, but given how things tend to go in The Walking Dead, it's easy to say that not a lot of people would have adopted a baby during a zombie apocalypse. Especially not with a bunch of zombies with sharp ears around. If you want to use the word "adopted".
Now, Rick does this baby justice. He grieves for her when he believes that she's been eaten by zombies, and welcomes her back happily when he discovers that she has not become a Value Meal for the undead. Eventually, I imagine that he, Michonne, and Judith will be a cute little family and they'll have another little biracial child after they've killed Negan and burned down his home and shot
She isn't even the only example of children that have existed during this TV show. It's hard to forget that unfortunate girl that got lost in the forest, the other girl who was very certain that zombies still retained some of their human personalities and so, murdered her sister to prove it, that girl that The Governor and his bullshit got bitten, or, the most obvious, Carl. If you remember, in the beginning, he and Lori were snatched up by an eager Shane and lived as one little family for a bit.
6 You can still lose your wife to a sociopathic serial killer...but she won't be dead.
There cannot possibly be a single person anywhere who has watched this show who doesn't believe that this situation with Dwight isn't fucked up. I was really waiting for him to crack open Negan's skull with that bat at any given moment. *rolls eyes* Could NOT be me.
7 Men are still lying and manipulative assholes
Let's not pretend we forgot about what The Governor did to Andrea or that other woman he smashed after her or what Negan is currently doing to his many "wives". Let's nitpick at The Governor first.
- A total charming asshole who with his halfway mindless, muscle-man asswads goes out to murder the folks at other camps and snatch up their resources for their own camp
- tells Andrea he's going to make peace with Rick and the group, clearly, he wasn't trying to do that
- tells Andrea that Michonne is "crazy" and continues making Michonne seem irrational and paranoid
- allows Andrea and Michonne to leave in order to further make Andrea believe they live in a lovely paradise and Michonne has been out in the world for too long and has become self-sabotaging
- captures Andrea when she really does leave, lies and says she's gone to other folks in the camp, then ties her up and feeds her to a walker
- Also gives Andrea the dick and makes her feel important and strong and all of that to build trust by giving her a job at the camp
- After he shoots up half the folks left in the camp, goes off on his own, meets two women with a child, lies about his name and his background, and smashes this new woman
- Takes them out in the dangerous world, is saved by a member of his last camp, kills him off to take over the camp and makes it look like a drunken accident
- Refusing to let go of his grudge against Rick and Michonne, kidnaps Michonne and Herschel, paints Rick and Company as dangerous savages, starts a gun fight, gets a bunch of folks killed, FINALLY FUCKING DIES. GOOD GODDAMN LORD.
Now...as I'm writing this, Negan is currently an issue in The Walking Dead so...there's no telling what offenses he'll commit next, but so far we have...
- uses murder as a fear tactic to keep other groups in line
- tortures people in his encampment for whatever he perceives as an offense, like, putting an iron to the face
- "barters" sex for maintaining expensive health needs of at least two of his "wives" that we know of (one has a mother or something on meds and the other had a sister who needed insulin)
- uses sensory deprivation on the newly kidnapped in order to brainwash them and force them to join the Saviors
- makes deals that he or his lieutenants can change at will depending on what they decide they "need" to take back to their camp
Now, what does any of this have to do with love? Well, the leader of a group is supposed to think of the needs and well-being of the group and neither Negan nor The Governor build loving, family-type environments within their groups. Though we have gotten 3 drops of background about someone Negan used to actually love, I sincerely doubt he has anything stronger than lust or a mild affection for any of the women in his harem. There is space to make the argument that both of them are "damaged" men because they both lost their wives/loves and are now hella murderous and awful. Though...I feel like they were probably abusive as fuck before the apocalypse too.